I cant find my other sock

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

I guess you can call me slow to blog. As those of you who stop over from MaeRae may know I'm chained at home for a while- surgery- so I am catching up on b-movies, repeats of Law & Order and contemplating ways to continue to avoid finishing my thesis paper. I will never understand how something you want to be over so badly is sometimes the hardest to complete.


Well I promised myself 2 days ago that if something I saw on facebook still continued to bother me I would post a blog about my discontent- just to vent- well the discontent has not left so here goes.


To Those Sitting In Your Nice Warm- Non-Earthquake Ridden Living Room- No Matter Your Sexual Orientation

One of my acquaintances posted on facebook " For those of you (like me) who are unhappy with the Red Cross' discriminatory practices against homosexuals, there are more fair-minded relief organizations to which you can donate for Haiti relief, such as Oxfam." Now I have no problem with any ones personal sexual orientation. The post could have said for those of you like me who are unhappy with the Red Cross' discriminatory practices against ___________ (fill in the blank; hmm-- ox farmers, teachers, redheads, hot dog vendors, etc). What bothers me is that a family in a town near my home is waiting for some kind of word from their child who is in Haiti- as they watch on television-the Haitian people bury unidentified remains in mass graves to thwart disease- ever wondering if their child is one of those never to be identified.

So when someone feels the need to post such a ridiculous suggestion as to how one should send relief-Instead of just posting"please send relief to the Haitian people"- while sitting in their warm stable environment- puts me over the edge. We are missing the point (society- not necessarily just this acquaintance).

Yes, I am for the greater good and I feel for those in minority groups who have to fight for their rights- however- when we let these things get in the way of assisting other human beings we are missing the point. It is a fight for the greater good- to me anyway- and I have put aside some of the things I might normally stood strong for when situations call for me to look at the big picture and change my fight even if only for a moment. Help and assistance should not bear stipulations- and since I don't know what the Red Cross has done to incite the gay community- perhaps that statement can be thrown right back in my face.

It is truth that they have the resources to help, and for me if I can give what little I have to insure that even one human being can have food and clean water to drink, then I am not overly concerned with the vessel in which delivers it- only that it gets delivered.

If the Red Cross has wronged the gay community - is this really the platform from which you need to prove your point? Inform the public of how they have wronged you- but find more stable platform. The Haitian people cannot afford stipulations.

1 Comments:

  • At 12:25 PM , Blogger Mae Rae said...

    i wanted to shove my 12 gage up his ass at that point and tell him to kiss my republican ass, send money you fn you know whatsy and get off your high stick. I am seriously thinking of blocking any post from him just so I don't gag over muchi muchi,coochie blah blah blah,

    that being said, glad to see you posting.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home